Home > Research > Publications
Dr Paul Anderson
- Critical Thought in Turbulent Times: Reforming Law and Economy for a Sustainable Earth (provisional title; under review) [Please click here for pre-publication details].
- Commodification, Conservation and Community: an Analysis and a Case Study in South India. Edinburgh Papers in South Asian Studies 14 (Edinburgh: Centre for South Asian Studies, Edinburgh University, 2000)[Web].
- "What Rights are Eclipsed When Corporatism Defines Risk? Governance and GM Food", Theory, Culture and Society, 21 (6) 2004, pp. 155-169 [Web].
- "Governance by Universal Justice or Serial Warfare?", International Journal of Human Rights, 7 (4) 2003, pp. 143-154 [Web].
- "Community-based Conservation and Social Change amongst South Indian Honey-Hunters: An Anthropological Perspective", Oryx: International Journal of Conservation, 35 (1) 2001, pp. 81-83 [Web].
Papers currently under review or in preparation for submission
- "Constitutional Lessons from the Debates over Precaution versus Economic Growth in Domestic Mobile Telecommunications Law" (with Chris Groves). Journal of Law and Society (used by Richard Buxton Solicitors in R (Harris) v First Secretary of State, Peterborough City Council and Hutchison 3G  EWHC 1847). [Web]
- "Double-Glazing the Greenhouse and Productive Policy Responses to Rising Atmospheric Carbon" (with Lewis Cleverdon) Nature
- "The Problem of Heidegger's Nondualism for Ecological Critique". Journal of Political Philosophy
- "Global Environmental Governance: further thoughts on the need for a 'Constitutional Moment'" (with Chris Groves). Global Environmental Politics.
- "Climate Litigation at a Crossroads?" (with Joyeeta Gupta). Global Environmental Change.
Relevant non-peer reviewed work
- "Valuing Nature: Democracy or Economics?" OpenDemocracy (17 May 2012; http://www.opendemocracy.net/ourkingdom/paul-anderson/valuing-nature-democracy-or-economics).
- "Fighting 'Terrorism' or Repressing Democracy? Britain's System of Mass Surveillance". Global Research (14 November 2012; http://www.globalresearch.ca/fighting-terrorism-or-repressing-democracy-britains-system-of-mass-surveillance/5311802).
Conference papers, presentations and proceedings
- "Adding Capacity at Heathrow consultation: Comments on its Scope and Legality" (authored with Chris Groves), February 2008. Submission at request of a coalition of local authorities and environmental groups. Outlines prospects for judicial review of the Government's decision to support the expansion of Heathrow airport in light of (i) a critique of its policy including demonstration of need and the methodologies by which this was made and (ii) an analysis of a failure to discharge duties imposed inter alia by the Aarhus Convention to consult the public fully and effectively (used subsequently by Harrison Grant Solicitors in R (Hillingdon and others) v. Secretary of State for Transport  EWHC 626) [Web].
- Submission at request of CAPRI and Richard Buxton Solicitors, used in R(Ware) v. Neath Port Talbot Council and National Grid  EWHC 913 (Admin) and in Public Inquiry PO624/06/FUL. Submission (authored with Chris Groves) critiques National Grid's representations on energy security and the national interest, its legal duties, its demand/supply forecasting and its assessment of risk and environmental impact [Web].
- "The Allocation Problem and Conceptualising Linkages in Earth Systems Governance". Earth System Governance conference, University of Lund, Sweden, April 2012.
- "Environmental Sustainability: from Market Failure to a Critical Theory of Justice". Research Seminar, International Law and Theory Centre, University of Westminster, December 2011.
- "The 'War on Terror': What's in a Frame?" at In Pursuit of the Future workshop, Cardiff University, March 2006.
- "What Rights are Eclipsed When Corporatism Defines Risk? Governance and GM Food". Environmental Justice and Global Citizenship Mansfield College, Oxford University, July 2005.
- "The Commons and Ordre Public Models of Governance: an Introduction", Property Regulation in European Science, Ethics and Law, workshop on Genetic Biodiversity and Sustainable Development, Lund University, Sweden, November 2004.
- "Metaphor Use, Whole System Dynamics and the Entropic Nature of the Economy" (with Christoph Bey), Frontiers 1, European Society for Ecological Economics, Cambridge University, July 2001.
- "Carbon at all Costs? An Analysis of a Forest Carbon Sequestration Strategy to Combat Climate Change" (London: Friends of the Earth International, December 1998), UN Framework Convention on Climate Change COP 4, Buenos Aires, December 1998
Editorial and reviewing work
- "International Environmental Law: Status, Problems and Reform Prospects" Review of M. Fitzmaurice, D. Ong and P. Merkuoris (eds.) Research Handbook on International Environmental Law (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar, 2010) in Climate Law, 3, 2012, pp. 71-91 [Web]
- "Neo-radical Perspectives on Global Environmental Governance?" Review of J G Speth (ed) Worlds Apart: Globalization and the Environment (Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 2003) in Politics and the Life Sciences, 27 (2) 2008, pp. 60-5 [Web].
- Toulmin, C. et al. Land Tenure in Africa (London: Earthscan/DFID, 2001).
- Leonard, R. Land Tenure Lexicon: A Glossary of Terms from English and French-Speaking West Africa (London: IIED, 2000).
Paper reviewer for
- Climate Law
- Environmental Politics
- Journal of Human Rights and the Environment
- Politics and the Life Sciences
- Theory, Culture and Society
- Journal of Global Ethics